Friday, March 6, 2009

Hilltribe Trekking


The first day of Trekking ended here in the small village of Balo on the side of a moutain (about 30 houses). This was our hut for the night. There were 18 of us on the floor of this hut which also served as our dining room and kitchen. I imagine that it served many functions for the village - town meeting hall, guest house, public square, community dining hall.

I sketched this before it got dark and then colored it in the morning before we left. The children in the village found us interesting and played in the open area in front of the hut. Bonnie handed out Canadian stickers, they played guns, train, and they also found my sketching interesting. Because it was my first time sketching in front of the group I was a bit self conscious but everyone really liked it I think. The first time sketching in front of others is the most difficult but then you become "that guy that sketches". Not such a bad way of being thought about...

PS- Brian posted the picture he took so I thought it would be fun to post his picture too.

4 comments:

Iliana Hagenah said...

Watercolors? I have taken art classes,but I never really got the shadding very well. Beautiful. I can see you really were inspired.

Ken Foster said...

Thanks Lillian - The whole trip I was inspired to sketch - something about seeing and being in an entirely new place is very inspiring to me artistically

Margaret Ann said...

I like what you've made for a small sketching pack...is that a water bottle cut down...the bottom used for holding water? Very cool idea!

Ken Foster said...

Hi Margaret Ann - Yes, I cut the bottom off an empty water bottle. I actually used that the rest of the trip.