Saturday, November 27, 2010

Biking in Kyoto

On our last day in Kyoto we rented bikes. We rode to Nijo Castle and walked around/sketched, went to a sword shop. Then we rode over to the International Manga Museum. I wish I had more time there. There were thousands of books spanning the past century and hundreds of people reading Manga books. It looked more like a library than a museum. There were some amazing figurines and drawings on display there.

Anyway, I did this sketch the other day from a photo I took on the bike ride that day. The photo was of a street scene and this sketch is a little scene way up high off the street. I didn't really notice it at the time, most people probably don't - it's just more visual noise in the city. But it grabbed my attention and now it has yours!

5 comments:

Jennifer Lawson said...

Hi Ken,

It's me, Jennifer in Portland, getting ready for another trip to Indonesia—long one this time. I notice you travel a lot and I am curious at to what drives your deep urge to see the world. For me, I am unclear where home is these days and not sure where I want it to be. We can't seem to stay here unless it's summer—HA!

Your sketches are always lovely

Ken Foster said...

Hey Jennifer, I popped over to look at your blog as I haven't been there in awhile and all I can say is WOW! you are doing some great stuff. I love your colors/style - very exciting to see.

The "deep urge to see the world" you asked about coincided with some major life changes (death of a parent and my own divorce) and a renewed passion for sketching which is, to me, a way of slowing down to understand the world around us. Travelling sort of seems to be a natural extension of sketching. The more you draw, the more you understand. The more you understand, the more you want to see. It's beautiful that way.

Have a great time in Indonesia. I'm jealous!

Unknown said...

I love all the detail at the top! Seems like there could be a party up there!

Shane said...

Hello Ken. Thank you for commenting on my blog. Did you just sit down and draw this building? Or did you take a picture and draw it later? Because this is really extraordinary work. The amount of detail and straight lines, dead on perspective. Really amazing.

Ken Foster said...

Thanks Shane! I drew this from a photo I took while biking around Kyoto with my son.