Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sagrada Familia

Yesterday, I walked up to the Sagrada Familia. Nothing really prepared me for its impact. It is an amazing building - monumental in vision, effort, imagination, and inspiration. My understanding of Gaudi has grown and my respect has deepened as a result of being here. Before I came I believed his work to be modern, fantastic and lunatic but now I see how much effort he made to integrate natural organic forms and geometry to create functional and inspirational architecture that people would use and love. I made this sketch from where I had lunch (the waiter was quite interested in my sketches). It is but a small portion of the lower east facade. The whole building is a work in progress with scaffolding and machinery all around it.

The sketches above were done while touring the interior of the church. The photo below is of the main entrance.

No comments: