Monday, January 7, 2013

Amphitheater in Winter (in progress)


I walked down to the library this morning and sketched one of the buildings to the entrance of the amphitheater. It was about 20 degrees so I couldn't paint because my paints would freeze so I just sketched out the scene. After 30 or 40 minutes of drawing I was cold, so I packed it in, took a photo with my iphone and walked back up to the studio. I started by wetting my paints differently. Instead of spraying them with a bottle I used the skipper brush to drop a good teaspoon or so of water into each color. This is a change worth remembering - paints got so much juicier. I used a #10 round Escoda brush for laying in most of the color but scumbled a lot with my 1" skipper brush when I didn't like the application. It's "in progress" but I like the mysterious feeling here at this stage so I wanted to capture it. Also, it's noon and I have some other things I need to do today.

No comments: