Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Arron


This is Arron. He's a tall, athletic, good looking thirty something doctor from Australia. He's also a cyclist and Ironman triathlete. We met 5 years ago cycling in Italy. We were both staying in the same hotel that serves as the "headquarters of the Italian Cycling Center.

One day we climbed Monte Grappa together. Monte Grappa is one of the hardest climbs in Italy. It's long and steep and it's often one of the climbs in the Giro d'Italia (Italy's Tour de France). Within the first kilometer I knew I was out of my league cycling with this guy (actually, I knew that the moment I first laid eyes on him). But Arron is easily one of the friendliest, easy-going cyclists I've ridden with. He was chatting with me up the first few kilometers. I was breathing hard so I couldn't talk. I remember he was riding ahead of me, turned around facing me and no hands on his handlebars. I remember feeling inferior when he did that.

20x15 Arcrylic and Artrage. #199

No comments: