Friday, December 5, 2008

The Majorette

 
This is my mom before I was born. She was a majorette in the Greenville High School Flaming Flashes. The thing next to her is her hat with a feathered plume. I did a little research on the Flaming Flashes (such a great name, isn't it?) and discovered a bit of trivia. The Greenville Flaming Flashes claim to be the oldest drill team in the world, founded in 1929 by Gussie Nell Davis, who would later go on to found the Kilgore College Rangerettes. 

Anyway, I sketched this from a photo my sister had in the room I stayed in when I visited her last week. As I was drawing this I was wondering what my mom was thinking about. I imagined she was thinking about the weekend and going on a date with my Dad. They were dating about this time. I've been thinking about her lately. Today is her birthday. She would have been 70.

1 comment:

etucsitj said...

Wow! I can't believe your mom was in the Flaming Flashes. That's exciting! :) I was an officer there this year and, yes, we were the first. :) They started a band and Flash hall of fame this year and eventually all the past majors will be in it so hopefully she will be eventually, too.