Thursday, February 16, 2017

Erja


This is Erja. I met her on a plane flying from Rockland to Boston a couple of years ago. We were both heading off on separate adventures but had some time to become acquainted while waiting for our bags to arrive at baggage claim. A couple of months later we became friends on Facebook.

This is what a portrait typically looks like a couple of hours after I arrive at a friend's house to do a portrait. Many of the portraits I've posted I continued working on back in my studio with photographs to refer to because I felt I had more to add or didn't like that they were "unfinished". With Erja's portrait, I like that it's unfinished. This is where we are.

12x16 pencil and watercolor in my huge Moleskine sketchbook.

5 comments:

WILDSIDE said...

"Unfinished."

By now, you'd know I approve that thought!

Hopefully the term "unfinished" gives us some leeway to still become, but I do like this particular one left undone as you have chosen.

Very much enjoying your portrait "progression" (if that's the right word to use here? not sure)...

Ken Foster said...

Thanks WS! Yeah, I thought you would approve...

Progression works well in this instance.

WILDSIDE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WILDSIDE said...

Good morning, Ken -- I am trying to disappear a small bit, but not succeeding well at that! (LOL!?!)

Based upon your posted notes & art -- this is a film found I think you especially may enjoy (what it was I was trying to refer to in the awkward deleted message above)...

Eu Maior (Higher Self)
A film from Brazil with subtitles -- so don't fall asleep like I do!
(1 and 1/2 hour long)
https://documentarystorm.com/eu-maior-higher-self/

Ken Foster said...

Thank you so much WS! It looks really interesting. I'm trying to find time to watch and will let you know what I think when I do. I liked your cryptic first message - kind of like a bird whispering a mysterious a clue and then flittering away. I figured it out so it worked.